Manga DB - accidental delete bug

A place to discuss Manga Database.
=DD=

Manga DB - accidental delete bug

Post by =DD= » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:45 pm

This is a bug that I discovered when using Manga DB but was unsure If you were already unaware or if I already told you about it.
This is somewhat related to viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8

If you delete a manga from the database, a dialogue box comes up stating that "Files will not be deleted" please confirm. This is great, but upon another re-scan of the database "Run Library Scan" that chosen manga will not appear. I had a look at the manga.db file and it seems the manga is still preserved but just won't appear or re-import. I also can't edit the manga.db and remove the entry or it will result in a manga.db is malformed error.

It is unclear if this is by design, but there has been a few times, I've accidentally pressed a key and accidentally got rid of a manga this way, and unable to re-import it back in without deleting the original manga.db file. I am reluctant to do that since I will loose my rating information. viewtopic.php?f=8&p=388#p388

The only solution I've found it to rename the original folder directory by appending a suffix labelled something like "eng" to the directory name but this fix is rather tacky and only a temporary solution until the next iteration of Manga DB.

Could we also perhaps have a separate sub-forum for Manga DB/Kuru Reader releated bugs? Unless you prefer all bugs to be in one thread.

Thanks!
DD

Squidy
Site Admin

Re: Manga DB - accidental delete bug

Post by Squidy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:53 am

This is indeed by design, otherwise deleted items would reappear in the database after the next library scan, which, in the case of purposeful deletions, is normally undesired.

There's currently no way to allow the item to be re-added through Manga DB directly (I'll add this to my to-do list), but you can do it by editing the database file (manga.db). I assume you tried editing the database as a text file, which is a bad idea.

It's an SQLite database, and there are a lot of tools out there to allow you to easily modify it (I recommend DB Browser if you prefer a GUI). If you look under the "Browse Data" tab and select the "Removed" table, you can delete records from it. This table stores a list of all paths that have been manually removed, which is why modifying the path allowed it to be added to the database again.

As for where to post Manga DB-related issues, the Manga Database forum is fine! I moved your post into it. There's not as much going on in the modules forums, so separating bugs, feature requests, etc. isn't a big issue right now.
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.

=DD=

Post by =DD= » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:08 am

Hi Squidy,

Thanks for the tips on removing the entries. It worked like a charm using DB Browser to manually remove the entries. I've also been using it to mass assign ratings based on author by multi-selecting chosen series, since this feature is currently not implemented in Manga Database.

Thanks again and until next time!
DD

BlueFire213

Post by BlueFire213 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 am

This fixed the issue I had for Manga Database (Deleted Files) (: Thanks~~~~~~!