Question about nhentai IP bans

Ask questions and have them answered!
SteamLoller

Question about nhentai IP bans

Post by SteamLoller » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello guys!

So, I have made some research before jumping into downloading stuff. The first site I would start is nhentai, and I kinda want to downloaded LOTS of stuff from there. I read that populating too much stuff can cause an IP ban. Haven't found definite info what this ban means? Permanent? Temporary? How long?

My problem is, I have a NAS at home, and because of that, I use fixed IP address. I know I could cancel this at my provider, but I kinda need it cuz of my NAS. Now if any sites ban me, that means because my IP is fixed, and it's perma, means trouble.

Do any of you have any definite info or experience?
Thanks!

Squidy
Site Admin

Re: Question about nhentai IP bans

Post by Squidy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:59 pm

SteamLoller wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 pm
I read that populating too much stuff can cause an IP ban. Haven't found definite info what this ban means? Permanent? Temporary? How long?
The ban is normally lifted after 24 hours. You will be unable to access any part of the site during the ban.

This site is part of why I added timing features in one of the recent updates, accessible under "File > Options > Timing". If you add a site rule, you can set an enqueuing delay, which will make the program wait between galleries when adding a bunch to the queue at once. You can also add a "random variance" under the global timing settings to offset the delay by a random amount to make it more natural. I haven't experimented heavily, but you should be fine with values between 0.5-1.0 seconds.
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.

SteamLoller

Re: Question about nhentai IP bans

Post by SteamLoller » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:00 pm

Hey there!

I will try it. To tell the truth, I also have a bunch of VPN choices as I have a NordVPN subscription, but still, constantly getting into bans would be a no-go. I will try out what you suggested. Haven't found it for whatever reason, although I read in the same topic where I found the first IP ban info that you will implement this. Apparently, you have done this.
I will experiment with this tomorrow. Timing is perfect, as I want downloads to run on a dedicated compute card (basically I want to leave it unattended for the most time).
If something unexpected happen I will write.