EXhentai

Ask questions and have them answered!
Red_Rain77

EXhentai

Post by Red_Rain77 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:11 am

Hey, i used to use HDoujin Downloader awhile ago but than i stopped, i recently decided to use it again and bought the premium package.

Whenever i try to download from Exhentai it take a really long time compared to the other sites? it used to download find when i used it before, i tried downloading the same file from puruin and it downloaded a whole minute faster the the file on EXhentai, whats going on?

Also some downloads leave a folder behind after conversion while other don't, why is this?

Besides that, im really enjoying the program i really like how i can write the comic info to xml fore easy integration into comicrack.

Have you ever thought about a renaming option?
I currently use a program called "Doujinshi Renamer" to rename the files after download, it would be really great if it could be integrated into the downloader, it pulls title data from this site doujinshi.org

Squidy
Site Admin

Re: EXhentai

Post by Squidy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:21 am

In my experience, it's a slow site in general. It tries to reduce server load by offloading the traffic to H@H users, which doesn't always offer optimal speeds. There's also the slight overhead of accessing the gallery page, and from there getting the image URL. Most other sites gather all of the image URLs at once before starting the download, but this was too inefficient for exhentai, not to mention that the image URLs expire after a period of time.

I recommend looking under "File > Site-Specific Options", and on the "Timing" tab for "g.e-hentai.org/exhentai.org" checking what your "page download delay" is. It's 2 seconds by default, which could definitely explain the longer download times. It was introduced to avoid anti-leeching measures, but depending on your usage you might be able to get away setting it to 0.

As for the folders being left behind after conversion, this is indicative of something going wrong during the conversion process. If you don't see any error message in the status column, then it could also be that something is locking the folder at the time HDoujin tries to delete it. If anything currently has one of the images open (for example, a virus scanner) HDoujin won't be able to delete it. When this happens, the error is silently ignored.

I checked out the program you mentioned briefly; I'll need to experiment with it a bit more, but I'll think about some kind of integration (you're definitely more familiar with it than I am, so if you have some good ideas, feel free to share!). You might be able to make some use of the "middleware" settings under "File > Options > Middleware", where you can, for example, run the renamer after each download with custom parameters. If you get something going with this, I'm interested in hearing about it!
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.