File Sizes

Ask questions and have them answered!
Spacert

File Sizes

Post by Spacert » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:30 am

I have noticed lately that there is something off with the file sizes. I mostly download from Hitomi.la and recently downloaded an 'manga' that i already had and when i compared file sizes i saw that last year (when i downloaded it) the size was 132mb but now its a whopping 504mb

I have image conversion enabled to convert any static image to .jpg with quality of 65% and i had the same back then perhaps with an even higher quality %

So i honestly don't know what happened, did something happen to the source file or is the conversion broken?

It would be great if there was a way to reduce file size, setting it to quality 10% doesn't even change the file size much just makes the image look shitty.

An option to download the original .avif file (which you see in the browser) would be nice as well. Now it just does .webp even if you disable that in Tools > Site Settings -> Hitomi.la because thats a nice and small file size. Like 10 times smaller.

Squidy
Site Admin

Re: File Sizes

Post by Squidy » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:20 am

I'm not totally sure why the file size is so dramatically larger. For converting WebP images, I did switch from using libwebp directly to using ImageMagick (to support a wider variety of formats), but I doubt ImageMagick is to blame for this. If you're willing to send me the gallery in question and maybe some example files for comparison, I'd be glad to take a look at them and see if I can find an explanation.

It always does WebP because original images are unavailable for most galleries now, but I've now made AVIF an option too. It should be available the next time you restart HDoujin Downloader.
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.

Spacert

Re: File Sizes

Post by Spacert » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:48 am

I may have found the culprit and it is silly i didn't think of it earlier. I had under Crop and Resize enabled Resize whenever an image is wider than my 1440p monitor to resize it to the width of my monitor resolution.

I thought it didn't matter because the images were 1920*1080 much smaller than what i had set up, for the sake of testing i had disabled everything in the conversion settings and that fixed it making the image sizes nice and small again.

I double checked it and even when i set the setting to resize anything larger than 5000x5000 it still makes the file 4 times larger than when i set the setting to 0x0

I'm guessing it's not supposed to do that, right?