Download Status and Failed Download Issues

Ask questions and have them answered!
zone989

Download Status and Failed Download Issues

Post by zone989 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:59 am

Hello,

I'm wondering what each of the options in "Set Download Status" does.... specifically the "Reset / Retry / Remove & Requeue"

The situation is this:
I've tick the option to create a text file listing missing/failed pages (if any)
I downloaded a manga from Mangapark.com for the first time and it says in the status "Completed (Some failed)"
http://mangapark.me/manga/watashi-ni-xx-shinasai

I checked the "failed.txt" and it says a bunch of various .jpg in chapters 25, 30, 31 failed.
So I then right click and select "Reset" in the "Set Download Status" menu for this manga and then start download again for the second time.

After it finishes, it still says "Completed (Some failed)"
So I went and check the new "failed.txt" again and this time it says a bunch of .jpg in chapters 74 and 75 failed.
Sure enough, I checked and chapters 25, 30, 31 downloaded successfully. However, I thought chapters 74 and 75 should've been downloaded successfully during the 1st time I downloaded this manga (since the 1st "failed.txt" didn't mention any .jpg in chapters 74 and 75).

At this point, I'm not sure how this all works or if I should've selected "Retry" or "Remove & Requeue" instead of "Reset".

Please, could you kindly point out the difference between the "Reset / Retry / Remove & Requeue" in detail and what each of them does? And in which situations should the users use each of these options?

=========================================================================================================================

This partially failed downloads only happens randomly for random mangas. Does HDoujin Downloader try to re-download only the "failed" files? Or does it re-download the whole manga?

I think there was also a time when I downloaded a manga and it says "Completed" but when I went to read it, I found out there were a few missing pages even though there isn't a "failed.txt" and no "(Some failed)" in the status bar.
If I recalled correctly, it was this manga:
http://mangapark.me/manga/kaibutsu-oujo
Redownloading it solves the problem.

=========================================================================================================================
EDIT:
Thought I should also mention that for issue with http://mangapark.me/manga/kaibutsu-oujo, the first time I downloaded it, there was a "Some failed" icon in the status bar. After that, I either clicked "Forced Download / Reset / Retry / Remove & Requeue". After which it completes the download with no "Some failed" icon in the status bar, but there are still some pages missing.

Also, if there are "Some failed" icon, and I clicked on "Forced Download", what actually happens and how is it different from selecting any of the other options like "Retry or Reset, etc." ?

Apart from these failed download issues, I'm very happy that I purchased HDoujin Downloader !! Keep up the good work !!

Squidy
Site Admin

Re: Download Status and Failed Download Issues

Post by Squidy » Sun May 28, 2017 7:22 pm

You're right that any pages that already exist in the download folder will be skipped. It does this by simply checking the filename, so if there's any reason the filename might be different, it might attempt to download it again. Also, if you have "Settings > Downloads > General > Verify file size after download" checked, it will attempt to check the image size even when the image already exists. If the size matches, it ignores it; otherwise, if checking the size fails (e.g., the request times out, the site doesn't return a valid size) or the size reported by the site doesn't match, it deletes the existing file and downloads it again. If you don't have that checked, though, let me know.

Also, if you download a lot of manga at the same time, you might be getting rate-limited, causing some of the requests to fail. If you think this might be a possibility, try lowering your "Max simultaneous downloads" under "Settings > Downloads > General" to see if it makes a difference (that, or adjust the delay between downloads/pages). If this happens for every site you download from, it could be a sign of a larger issue, but if it's limited to mangapark.me, then it's almost definitely rate-limited or something similar on their end.

As for the differences between the different status options:
  • Reset clears the page cache* and clears the download directory information. This means if you for example change your folder formatting string, a new download directory will be generated using that string, instead of using the one that was generated the first time you started the download.
  • Retry does the same thing as Reset, except it does NOT clear the directory information, so you can be sure it will continue using the download directory even if your folder formatting string has changed.
  • Remove & Requeue removes the item from the download queue, and adds it again. This has the same effect as a Reset, except it refreshes the metadata for the manga if it's changed on the site. It's as if you removed it from the queue yourself and added it again.
  • Force Download ignores your queuing settings and starts the download even if your "Max simultaneous downloads" limit has already been reached.
(For the record, you can hover over just about any option and get a description of what it does.)

If nothing helps and you continue to experience this problem, we can explore more involved troubleshooting methods. If that's the case, please email me your configuration file (config.ini) as well as one or two "failed.txt" files. You can find my email address on the "About" tab of the program.

* a list of pages previously fetched so they don't need to be fetched again if you pause the download
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.