Web Browser setting not respected for "Open URL" context menu option

Run into a problem? Report it here!
rustydex

Web Browser setting not respected for "Open URL" context menu option

Post by rustydex » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:42 am

Given:
  1. User has multiple instances of FireFox installed. In my case, for example: FireFox and FireFox Portable
When:
  1. User changes path to Firefox to FireFox Portable in Settings > External Applications > Web Browsers > Mozilla Firefox
  2. User then goes to Downloads, selects an entry, and chooses "Open URL" from the context menu
Then:
  1. Link is opened in an instance of the primary Firefox browser, rather than the path configured
Expected: "Open URL" should open links in the browser path the user provided.

Relevant config: Settings > External Applications > Web Browsers

Motivation: I use a portable instance specifically for activity I don't want captured in my primary browser history. Opening H sites in a non-private instance of my primary browser is not ideal. I decided to raise a bug as the scope may extend beyond the context menu. Not to turn this into a request, but being able to set the browser to open in a private/incognito window would be good enough for me (since it alleviates the inconvenience I mentioned).

If any further clarification is needed (or if I'm misunderstanding the expected behavior), please let me know.

Thanks!

Squidy
Site Admin

Re: Web Browser setting not respected for "Open URL" context menu option

Post by Squidy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:05 am

Excellent report, I really appreciate the detail you went to in explaining the problem.

You're right, all URLs are currently opened in the user's default web browser regardless of the browser paths you've specified in your settings. This is because those settings are actually meant for web driver use when doing browser automation. I understand why this would be confusing-- These settings should probably be in the web driver section instead.

Regardless, your expectations make a lot of sense. I've added a new "Preferred web browser" setting that respects the web browser paths you've specified, as well as a "Use private window" setting you can enable. The best of both worlds!

This will be present in the next program update!
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.

rustydex

Re: Web Browser setting not respected for "Open URL" context menu option

Post by rustydex » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 pm

Oh, my mistake then. I hadn't considered the links were using the default browser. Not a bug then. Thanks, and looking forward to the next update.