Piracy warning???

Run into a problem? Report it here!
Nut

Piracy warning???

Post by Nut » Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 pm

I downloaded the app from this website and didn't do anything to the program, I just using the free version with 25 download limit and you forced me to say "I'm sorry" wtf

Tayaki

Re: Piracy warning???

Post by Tayaki » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Lol, I have just discovered it today.
But I have never even exceeded the 25 limit, this window just appeared and mumbles something about "you'd better download through original links and not this program".
Now program simply does not accept links into it, I push enter and nothing happens, still empty download queue...

Also, all program setting were reset to default, totally not friendly action

Squidy
Site Admin

Post by Squidy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:05 pm

A few other users reported this as well; looks like the code that "detects" this is a little overenthusiastic. Turns out it was a terrible idea-- This is definitely going to be removed entirely in the next update. The goal was to encourage people to get in touch if they couldn't afford a license for some reason, but for some reason it's hassling regular users occasionally as well.

It doesn't do anything aside from showing the dialog box, and the program will continue normally after it is dismissed. If your settings got reset, it's likely an unrelated issue. The recent update to the updater triggered some AV vendors to start flagging the software or blocking it from accessing the internet, so both issues could be related to that. Most major vendors have whitelisted it at this point, but there might be some I'm not aware of.

Either way: I apologize for the inconvenience. This should have been disabled a long time ago.
Tayaki wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:54 pm
mumbles something about "you'd better download through original links and not this program".
You're probably referring to the dialog box that appears when you first start the program. If your settings weren't saved, it would think it was your first time opening the program, and display it again. It's just to encourage users to use site-provided download links where available to ease the load on small website operators.

To restore your settings, check the "backups" directory in your HDoujin Downloader folder. By default, three backups are saved containing full settings. You can load these into the program using "File > Import Backup".
Tayaki wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:54 pm
Now program simply does not accept links into it, I push enter and nothing happens, still empty download queue...
It's likely the support module is outdated. If you let me know what site you're trying to download from, I'll make sure that's fixed for the next update as well. If my AV theory is correct, it's also possible your antivirus software is preventing it from accessing the internet (there's a dedicated help page about this as well).
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.

Tayaki

Post by Tayaki » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Okay, looks like for UNKNOWN reason Downloader settings were reset, and thus this window appears.
Also I guess, right at the same time firewall (http://www.sphinx-soft.com/)started silently blocking access for Downloader. For some unknown reason too. Such silent blocking is totally unexpected and not normal. Because firewall was still working in "detecting new app" mode and Downloader was allowed long before. First time I've ever see this, for years. That's why I could not add links.
So i deleted rule for Downloader, detected again, and now all work again, as before. I cant understand this.
Antivirus does not have too much blocking possibilities, it is just Panda free.

Squidy
Site Admin

Post by Squidy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Tayaki wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 pm
So i deleted rule for Downloader, detected again, and now all work again, as before. I cant understand this.
In my experience, it can sometimes take a little while to AV vendors to decide that they don't like something. I run each update through VirusTotal to make sure that it's not getting incorrectly flagged before release, but sometimes it starts occurring after the fact. It's one of the most troublesome aspects of being a small-time developer.

That said, it doesn't look like Panda is flagging it according to VirusTotal. I'm not sure how their firewall works, so I can't speak as to why the rule would've changed, but what you experienced is probably an effect of that. If the rule changed while HDoujin Downloader was running, that's probably why it decided something "weird" was going on.
I'm the admin and developer of HDoujin Downloader.