Is it possible to manually set a Status that will prevent HDD from no longer downloading?

If there's a feature you think HDoujin is missing, share your ideas here!
LeslieH1

Is it possible to manually set a Status that will prevent HDD from no longer downloading?

Post by LeslieH1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:41 am

Good day!

In the process of switching my bookmarks over from Kissmanga due to the Cloudflare DDoS prevention thing (which seems to no longer be able to get past, not that I care, since it's just spurring me to get away from it), the one main benefit to using Kissmanga for me was that any older mangas that were completed, but not completely translated would remain with a 'Ongoing' status, meaning that I could look forward to it letting me know that there was a new chapter for me to read and enjoy. (I suspect it was basic laziness on their part, not that they were actually leaving the status on purpose.)

However, other sites are more careful about listing whether the manga is completed, aka no longer making new chapters, which results in HDD greying out the bookmark, and removing any ability to monitor for newly translated chapters. Now, I am certainly fine with the link turning grey, but I was hoping that it would be possible to have a setting that would permanently override the 'Completed' until I specifically set it to stop checking (which I guess would mean I might as well delete it.) It also bears pointing out that it seems that if a manga/manhwa/etc gets to its last chapter, it will also read the 'Completed' status, and not download the last chapter(s) that were posted.

As an example of two of the mangas I enjoy, Super Doctor K (26 days since the last chapter, but it ran from 1988 to 1996), as well as Dr. Koto Shinryoujo (last chapter was, like, five days ago, and ran from 2000 to 2010) are both no longer checking, so unless I specifically set it every time I go to check for new chapters (usually once a day), which means I have to make a separate list on paper that I will have to check. Some completed mangas that have just started being translated are also falling under this situation. Since I have started changing my bookmarks to different sites, 373 bookmarks (so far - I am only into T in my bookmarks) have become greyed out (some legitimate, but I don't have the time to go through them just now), which is no small number to have to reset every day.

So, is there a way to address this that doesn't involve switching the Status flag daily?

P.S. I quite love Dr. Koto, so I can recommend it to anyone who might be interested.

As an aside, is there a reason that some mangas won't download? Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu, as an example, was set to 0/0, and refused to update or download, but when I simply copied the link from the bookmark, it downloaded just fine. I see quite a number of 0/0 (which usually denotes that it is new, although I am uncertain as to why Komi-san was like that, since that one was downloading three weeks ago, and was not coming off Kissmanga), and that kinda crimps the addition of new manga.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope there is an easy resolution.

StormJumper

Re: Is it possible to manually set a Status that will prevent HDD from no longer downloading?

Post by StormJumper » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:57 pm

From time to time sites will prevent HDD from working what you need to do is find another site that doesn't block downloads. That is your only choice Squidy probably can do something but there is a limit to how much can be done if the site itself puts up restrictions.

LeslieH1

Re: Is it possible to manually set a Status that will prevent HDD from no longer downloading?

Post by LeslieH1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:29 am

Just revisiting this thread. I was hoping that there'd be some way to force HDD not to define a manga as completed, and no longer check it. To wit, there was a new manga that started being translated recently, but the manga itself is completed, and is denoted as being so in mangadex. So, the manga is technically completed, but the chapters are not, and are therefore being uploaded as they are translated. However, since the manga is listed as Completed, every time HDD checks, it sees that it is completed, it adds the latest chapters to be downloaded, then sets the manga's flag to no longer be checked, so you have to edit the bookmark to turn Completed off, and the next time you check, the flag will reset to Completed, and you have to edit the bookmark again.

So, I am asking if it is possible to have a flag that the user can set that simply causes the bookmark to ignore THAT flag, and check? Yes, it means that the user might have to take responsibility for turning that flag off, but I would rather have that than to keep resetting the flag myself. Sometimes, manga translations don't come out for MONTHS or even years (there is that manga that comes out, one page per year, in fact), and I would rather waste the moment of it checking than miss out on a manga that I enjoyed that went on hiatus for a while.

Note, I LOVE the fact that HDD turns the bookmark grey when the manga finishes. It tells me that I have to give it attention. I don't want the flag to disappear; I just want one that allows it to ignore the Completed flag.

Thanks,

Leslie